Non-GMO Project is a mission-driven nonprofit organization offering a third-party non-GMO verification program to the standard consumers expect. We are the pioneer and established market leader for GMO avoidance. We have set the industry standard for non-GMO verification since the Butterfly first appeared on store shelves in 2010.
Our seal of approval
An independent study by Consumer Reports found the Non-GMO Project Verified seal to be the only “highly meaningful” label for consumers looking to avoid GMOs 5. The credibility that comes with Non-GMO Project verification will allow your products to reach a wider customer base, assuring shoppers that your products meet the best practices for GMO avoidance.
Driving sales. Our retail partners report that Non-GMO Project Verified products are the fastest dollar growth trend in their stores this year. Annual sales of Non-GMO Project Verified products now exceed $26 billion.
In demand. A 2014 consumer survey found that “80% seek out non-GMO products, with 56% saying non-GMO was key to brand buying.” 6 2015 consumer polls also found that 93% of Americans and 88% of Canadians support labeling of GMOs. 7,8 Our Facebook page has more than 1 million highly engaged followers, who act as passionate brand ambassadors spreading the word about their trust in the Butterfly and whose demand continues to drive the movement forward.
In the spotlight. Thousands of retail partners work with the Non-GMO Project promoting verified products, educating customers about product transparency, and celebrating Non-GMO Month annually in October.
The Non-GMO Project Product Verification Program is North America’s only third-party verification for non-GMO food and products. Third-party verification is the highest quality system when it comes to product labeling and certifications because it ensures products have been comprehensively evaluated by an independent party for compliance with a standard developed by industry experts and stakeholders.
Companies must work with third-party technical administrators to get their products verified. These technical administrators are skilled industry professionals and will work with you to help your products achieve verification.
Promoting your verification
Brands that have achieved verified status on their products benefit from the overall promotional efforts of the Project. In addition, our Marketing and Communications team is available to review your marketing materials, help develop your non-GMO messaging, and further leverage your verification. Additional marketing programming is available to showcase your non-GMO commitment throughout the year, and our marketing team facilitates those opportunities.
- "Consumer Reports Food Safety and Sustainability Center Report on GMOs in Corn and Soy." Consumer Reports (n.d.): n. pag. Oct. 2014. Web.
- "Non-GMO Trumps Organic in 2014 Market LOHAS MamboTrack Survey." PRNewswire. PRNewswire, 5 Mar. 2014. Web.
- Langer, Gary. "Poll: Skepticism of Genetically Modified Foods." ABC News. ABC News Network, 09 June 2015. Web.
- "2015 Consumer Poll." 2015 Consumer Poll / GMO Inquiry 2015 / Take Action. Canadian Biotechnology Action Network, 29 Sept. 2015. Web.
- “Consumer Reports Food Safety and Sustainability Center Report on GMOs in Corn and Soy.” Consumer Reports (n.d.): n. pag. Oct. 2014. Web.
- “Non-GMO Trumps Organic in 2014 Market LOHAS MamboTrack Survey.” PRNewswire. PRNewswire, 5 Mar. 2014. Web.
- Langer, Gary. “Poll: Skepticism of Genetically Modified Foods.” ABC News. ABC News Network, 09 June 2015. Web.
- “2015 Consumer Poll.” 2015 Consumer Poll / GMO Inquiry 2015 / Take Action. Canadian Biotechnology Action Network, 29 Sept. 2015. Web.