It can be tough for plant-based eaters to find a satisfying breakfast with all the trimmings. With new GMOs entering the marketplace at an alarming rate, it's even tougher. Let's dive into some delicious plant-based breakfast options, where to watch out for GMOs and what to choose instead.
The cereal life
Instead of this: Corn-based breakfast cereals are likely to be made from the vast acreage of GMO corn grown in the U.S. — unless those cereals are Non-GMO Project Verified. That includes cornflakes, puffed corn and sweetened cereals that might contain corn syrup or sugar made from GMO sugar beets. Try this: Nature's Path and Kashi offer a broad selection of Non-GMO Project Verified cereals in popular and unexpected flavors. You don't have to stick with corn, either. Mix it up with oats and rye. Or, for something different, try a legume-based breakfast cereal from Three Wishes.
Vegan sausage that's delicious and non-GMO
Instead of this: One of the biggest names in the plant-based space is Impossible Foods, which offers links or patties of Impossible Sausage made from GMO soy. Soy is North America's most commonly grown crop — and more than 95% is GMO. We believe buying products made with non-GMO soy is crucial for protecting that remaining 5%. Try this: Field Roast offers a range of plant-based sausage links and patties, including deliciously seasoned options such as Smoked Apple & Sage and Spicy Mexican Chipotle. Or, stick with the Classic recipe, which is available in a heat-and-eat breakfast sandwich with plant-based egg and cheese.
Learn more about the importance of non-GMO soy, here.
Hash browns turn a frown upside down
Instead of this: The Non-GMO Project has considered potatoes a high-risk crop since 2018 because of the Simplot Innate potato, which is engineered to resist browning and hide damage. GMO potatoes are most likely to be found in restaurants, cafeterias, schools or hospitals, where food is prepped and sliced long before it is prepared. Also, under the federal Bioengineered Food labeling law, food service venues do not have to disclose to their customers if they are using GMO potatoes. Try this: We prefer an honest spud, one that doesn't conceal damage, bruising or discoloration, so we can decide for ourselves whether to include it in a meal. There are so many beautiful, non-GMO potatoes out there, such as this blight-resistant super-spud that was created through traditional cross-breeding methods. What a beauty!
The sum of all schmears
Instead of this: Are you partial to a bagel with cream cheese for your morning snack but trying to reduce your dairy intake? Noble work! Remember to steer clear of GMO non-animal dairy products made through synthetic biology. One company offers both GMO and non-GMO cream cheese under the same brand name, Nurishh. To be clear, the Nurishh Animal Free line offers cream cheese made using synbio dairy proteins. Synbio, or synthetic biology, is a genetic engineering technique using GMO microorganisms to create novel proteins, fats, or other compounds. But wait! Try this: Nurrish also offers Non-GMO Project Verified plant-based cream cheese options. Just look for the Butterfly to let Nurishh know you're opting out of the GMO experiment. (Take note: The world of synbio moves with dizzying speed. Companies are here today and gone tomorrow. Remember to sign up for our New GMO Alerts, under ‘GMO News and Updates,’ to hear the latest developments).
A cuppa joe (and mo')
Instead of this: Compound Foods released Minus, a beanless coffee made using synthetic biology. Synthetic biology is popping up in many products, such as non-animal dairy proteins — remember the synbio non-animal cream cheese? There are also synbio milks and creams, including Betterland Milk. Strive also offers synbio milk and oat and almond milk blended with synbio milk. The biotech way to sweeten that cuppa could be sugar made from GMO sugar beets or synbio honey from MeliBio. Try this: Alternatively, you can choose Non-GMO Project Verified and Fair Trade certified coffee or tea — use our product finder to browse hundreds of options. Use Non-GMO Project Verified plant-based dairy, oat or nut milk with Verified natural honey, cane sugar, or alternatives, including monk fruit extract or stevia.
Choosing a plant-based breakfast doesn't have to mean settling for inferior ingredients. Start your day off right, with natural, Non-GMO Project Verified foods. Because breakfast is #BetterWithTheButterfly.