The Non-GMO Project’s Product Verification Program (PVP) is a process-based and product-based program designed to assess compliance with the Non-GMO Project Standard. The core requirements are traceability, segregation, and testing of high-risk ingredients at critical control points.
The verification process is handled by independent, third-party technical administrators (TAs) who determine if a product complies with our Standard.
Verification Process Overview
1. Contact us: If you are interested in getting your product verified or would like a customized cost estimate, please fill out a Verification Inquiry Form so that we can send you the information you need to get started.
2. Choose your technical administrator: In order to get your product verified, you will need to work with a third-party technical administrator. We currently have three companies that are approved to perform product evaluations: FoodChain ID, NSF International, and IMI Global. Since IMI is a new technical administrator, they are in a “pilot program” and we are temporarily limiting the number of clients they evaluate so that we can fully support IMI in achieving full-service status. If you would like to work with IMI, please let us know and we will determine if your company qualifies to participate in the IMI pilot program
You will need to contact your chosen technical administrator to determine the costs and get an overview of what you will need to do in order to get your product verified. After reviewing this information, you will need to sign a contract with your chosen TA in order to proceed with your product evaluation.
3. Sign a licensing agreement: The licensing agreement is between you and the Non-GMO Project and outlines proper use of the Non-GMO Project’s name and verification mark. Please note that we have a separate licensing agreement for the United States and Canada (which requires a bilingual label). If you plan to sell product in both countries, please let us know so that we can send you both agreements to sign.
4. Complete the product evaluation: You will need to submit a variety of documents to your TA so that they can properly evaluate your product. The documents required may include ingredient statements, certificates of analysis, PCR test results, and standard operating procedures at the manufacturing facility. The TA will tell you specifically what type of documentation they need. Some evaluations also require an onsite inspection, which will be coordinated by your TA.
5. Promote your verification: Upon successful completion of the verification process and notification from your TA that your product complies with our Standard, we will send you the verification mark art files. If the other claims on your product packaging comply with the Non-GMO Project Standard, you may use the verification mark on your packaging. We will also connect you with our Communications Manager, who will work with you to draft a press release that we can share through social media.