The Non-GMO Project’s Product Verification Program (PVP) is a process-based program designed to assess compliance with the Non-GMO Project Standard. The core requirements are traceability, segregation, and testing at critical control points.
Product Verification Process
1. Contact Us: If you are considering enrollment, please fill out the Enrollment Inquiry Form so that we can send you the information you need to get started. This includes details on the Product Verification Program and directions on how to receive a free cost estimate. If you have questions feel free to contact us.
2. Preview & Complete Data Template For Cost Estimate: Once your initial questions have been answered and you are ready to proceed, you will receive a Product Information Spreadsheet from us. The Spreadsheet requests basic information about your products, such as product names, ingredients and number of facilities. This information is the basis for creating your free, customized, no-obligation cost estimate. You will send the completed spreadsheet to FoodChain Global Advisors, the Non-GMO Project’s technical consultant and administrator of the PVP.
3. Review & Approve Customized Costs: Based on the information you provide, FoodChain will then supply you with an outline of costs and customized recommendations to make the verification process as cost effective and efficient as possible for you. When you have approved your cost estimate and are ready, you will proceed with the enrollment process.
4. Sign Participating Company Agreement (PCA): The PCA serves as a non-disclosure agreement between you and FoodChain, and encompasses the agreements of your enrollment and verification, both you and FoodChain will sign the PCA.
5. Pay Enrollment Fees: Once you have provided your initial data, signed the PCA, and submitted payment, you are considered an official Non-GMO Project Participant.
6. Sign Licensing Agreement: The Licensing Agreement is between you and the Non-GMO Project and outlines parameters for use of the Project’s name, logo and verification mark. Once your products have been verified by FoodChain as compliant with the Non-GMO Project Standard, the Licensing Agreement allows for use of the Project’s name and logo on your website, in print advertising etc. and use of the verification mark on packaging (see step 10). Both you and the Non-GMO Project sign the Licensing Agreement.
7. Complete Data Upload: As the next step toward getting your products verified, you will provide additional details about the products you are enrolling (ingredient lists, production facility information, test results, etc.). To facilitate this process, FoodChain will give you a username and password that will allow you to access a secure, user-friendly online questionnaire where the information can be uploaded.
8. Provide Any Additional Info for Document-Based Review: Once your data upload is complete a FoodChain evaluator will begin the review process, in the course of the review process, a FoodChain evaluator will mark products and ingredients with a “green light” or “red light” in your online questionnaire. Any items marked with a red light will have a comments section providing instructions on what is missing/incomplete.
9. Schedule On-Site Inspection: Following successful completion of the document-based review, the next step is an on-site inspection, if applicable. If your facility requires inspection you may schedule it directly with FoodChain, or if your facility is already certified organic, you may arrange to have one inspection that fulfills the requirements of both the USDA Organic Certification and the Non-GMO Project Verification. In cases of dual inspections, it generally takes an extra 3-4 hours per inspection (including reports) for facilities with a moderate number of products (and assuming the up-front review was not too complicated).
10. Promote your “Non-GMO Project Verified” Status: Upon successful completion of these steps, FoodChain will notify you and the Non-GMO Project of your compliance to the Standard, you then have the option to begin preparing for incorporation of the “Non-GMO Project Verified” seal on your packaging, in accordance with the Licensing Agreement (see above).
Learn more about:
To request more information, or to enroll in the Product Verification Program, please fill out an Enrollment Inquiry