Megan’s Strawberry Shortcake
- Biscuit Ingredients:
- 4 cups spelt flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) organic unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- Approximately 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- Filling Ingredients:
- 2 quarts strawberries, stems removed and sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream (delicious Non-GMO Project Verified options include Coconut Bliss Vanilla Island, Straus Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and So Delicious Vanilla Bean Coconut Milk Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a few pea-sized clumps remaining.
- While stirring, slowly pour in almond milk until the dough is just wet (you may need more or less if you use a different kind of milk); the dough will be slightly sticky.
- On a lightly floured work surface, with floured fingers, gently pat dough into a round about 1 inch thick, pressing in any loose bits. Do not overwork the dough. Use a floured 3-inch round biscuit cutter or jar to cut out biscuits as close together as possible.
- Place biscuits on an unlined baking sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake, rotating sheet halfway through, until biscuits are golden and flecked with brown spots, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool.
- While biscuits are cooking, stir together strawberries and sugar. Let sit for at least 1/2 hour, until very juicy.
- Cut biscuits in half and top with strawberries and ice cream.