Help change the future of food. The Non-GMO Project is seeking an energetic, detail-oriented, articulate and well-organized “people person” to fill our new Communications Manager position. The Non-GMO Project is a non-profit collaboration of manufacturers, retailers, processors, distributors, farmers, seed companies and consumers committed to providing North Americans with clearly labeled and independently verified non-GMO food and products.
In addition to providing support to the Executive Director, the Communications Manager partners with our Outreach Coordinator to work closely with a wide range of stakeholders toward implementing and expanding North America’s first consensus-based Standard, third-party Product Verification Program, and uniform Seal for products made following best practices of GMO avoidance. This is a position with fantastic opportunity for growth. The organization is just three years old, and has expanded phenomenally in the last year, with accomplishments including a commitment by Whole Foods Market to obtain “Non-GMO Project Verified” status for all of its private label products.
Communications Manager responsibilities include:
- Outreach to stakeholders in the natural products industry (retailers, manufacturers, etc.) via phone, email and at tradeshows, and tracking communications in the Project’s Client Relations Management (CRM) database
- Supporting Executive Director on a dynamic range of projects, including social media communications, event planning, coordination of meetings and travel, etc.
- Maintaining Upland, CA office
- Overseeing Administrative Intern(s)
Applicants should have a passion for sustainability and an understanding of the GMO issue. In addition to aligned values, applicants should have:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A strong sense of order and organization
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as a willingness to follow instructions
- Solid computer literacy, including experience with Microsoft Office and internet research; experience with Adobe Photoshop preferred
- Confidence, poise and enthusiasm
- A bachelor’s degree
- Experience in PR/Marketing preferred
The Non-GMO Project is based in Upland, CA. The Communications Manager will most likely have the opportunity to work from home for a portion of each week, but is also responsible for maintaining the Upland office and overseeing Administrative Interns at that location. This is an independent contractor position; hourly compensation starts at $15, with significant room for growth and potential to become a salaried employee.
Position begins Monday August 2nd. We will be accepting applications through July 22nd and interviewing the week of July 26th. To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Serious applications only, please. Your cover letter needs to convince us that you care about the GMO issue and have the skills to help us change the future of food!